Additional information from the manager:
We would like someone with Red Hat Open Shift experience. Some candidates are listed with this experience but they do not have it, they have overall Red Hat but not the Open Shift product.”
The Systems Engineer's role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software, middleware and associated operating systems. The Middleware Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with application and network staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of middleware and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Work with ITS and Digital leadership team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company's disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Integrate servers, including database, application, and web services.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Provide orientation and training to end users for all modified and new systems.
Formal Education & Experience
- Knowledge ordinarily obtained through a Bachelor's degree in Business, Computer Information Systems, Engineering or related field plus a minimum of 4 to 6 years work; or 8 to 10 years of progressive information system experience with 3-5 years in a technical architecture or engineering role.
- Proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols, and Internet standards, including; HTTP/HTTPS; SSL/TLS Cipher suites and protocols.
- Extensive experience with 2-3 core Middleware applications, including; IBM DataPower; IBM API Connect; IBM MQ; IBM WebSphere; Oracle Web Logic; Red Hat OpenShift.
- Excellent software troubleshooting experience.
- Working technical knowledge of Java and .Net programming languages a plus.
- Working knowledge of network and operating systems, including Linux Red Hat; VMware vSphere.
- Competence with testing, flowchart, and data mapping tools and procedures.
- Excellent understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Good project management skills.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- On-call availability for 7 days per month.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
Job ID: 19-00069